11.22.2006

thanksgiving

Less than an hour before I head to catch the shuttle to the airport. While I'm not feeling particularly enthusiastic about spending the next twelve hours or so dealing with air travel I am extremely excited about this holiday. I fly into BWI via Denver (wha?) midnight-ish and from there am heading north to Jamestown, RI with my mom and youngest brother. It's about an eight hour drive and there was no option for changing my flights, even with a hefty fine; it seems holiday travel really doesn't lend itself to changing plans.

There is absolutely nowhere in the world I would rather be this weekend than with this particular group of family in Hull Cove, Jamestown, RI. I'm probably going to have an interesting time explaining just why I'm mastering out my graduate program, but otherwise these are people whom, given the opportunity, I would choose for family and I haven't seen most of them since the summer of 2004. The cove has been a refuge for me all of my life; some of my earliest memories involve family vacations there surrounded by my cousins and my mother's siblings. I still hear the waves in my dreams to this day.

In four days I'll be back in the reality of life, hopefully with plenty of family anecdotes that don't involve being offered cheap whiskey by my grandfather (That was the other side of the family, last Christmas. This upcoming Christmas I'll probably need it.) Until then, though, it's comfort food, and time with a book next to the fireplace and waking up with the waves outside my window.

No comments: