Physical therapy session yesterday. It seems that my shin splints problem springs from the fact that one of my legs is at least functionally longer than the other by just over 1/4". It may be bone structure or it may be due to muscle tension, both are easily treatable. I don't have as much flexibility in a lot of muscles as I ought to. So basically I think what the physical therapist meant was that if I'd been doing yoga like I have known I ought to be I wouldn't be having problems. It makes sense though; stress hit me like it never had before during my first semester of grad school and hasn't really let up since. I carry a lot of tension in my lower back. If one side is tighter than the other it would cause me to step a bit off and the effects would be seen especially when I run. So I do the assigned stretches at least the assigned number of times a day and next week I go back and get re-measured. If the difference is still there I can get a small lift for my shoe and I'll have at least done a lot of stretching this week, which is never a bad thing.
The best news is that the boot is meant to "allow rest" and I can wear it intermittently throughout the day. Basically that means I am not wearing it tonight, but it will be in my car. And I will wear it to work most of the time because 1) it garners pity from my boss (she uses the "sick tactic", so can I) and 2) I'm on my feet most of the day usually anyway. And I got ultrasound therapy to increase blood flow to the area for a while, which felt really good.
So maybe, just maybe I can go back to rugby even sooner than I thought, which makes me a very happy girl.
21 Days for Good #ohSnapkitchen
11 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment