12.05.2005

mechanistic hangover

The annual neuroscience symposium was on Saturday. Last week a big part of me was extremely reluctant to give up my day of freedom to sit indoors and listen to people talk science. After all, this is what I do every weekday. In retrospect it was a great way to spend the day. Aside from the early morning. I enjoyed the poster sessions, claustrophobically crowded though the room was and seeing what my peers are working on is always exciting. And the keynote speaker was great; an excellent speaker, entertaining, and his presentation was over really interesting work his lab has been conducting on a drug that is neuroprotective (i.e. can be used to fight the damage done in diseases like alzheimers and not just slow further damage). Very cool mechanistic stuff.

Lately it's been easy for me to forget how much I really do love science. Proof exists in the little things - yesterday morning at breakfast I drew the structure of an ethanol
molecule on a Splenda packet to explain a point I was making. Now if I could just be the one to figure out the magic ways by which this lovely little molecule exerts its oh-so-familiar effects I'd be doing really well.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Ethanol? You've been hanging out with Tim too much.

Amy said...

Au contraire, I have been a member of the Waggonner Center for Alcohol Addiction Research for six months now. Ethanol and its effects are my livelihood. Unfortunately, not in a fun way.