12.23.2005

it's made with figs...and bacon

There is a reason it is called "research." 90% of the time it isn't going to work. And no matter how hard I try to remember this I still find myself endlessly frustrated. I think what really keeps researchers going is the drug of discovery. Of finding something out that no one has ever known. I have yet to experience that moment. Sure, corroborating microarray data is all well and fine and it needs to be done to prove that what my Berglab predecesors have shown isn't all horse hockeypucks, but I am getting fed up with myself.

So on that note, I am taking the day off. It's an official university holiday, my boss has gone camping, and everyone else is gone as well, making me the only one there. Besides, what I have to do will only take a half an hour because I absolutely refuse to attempt another real time PCR run until I get back from vacation.

Ah, vacation. Christmas may seem a bit anticlimatic, but getting away will be awfully nice. Even if it means fielding questions from family that I have to answer with "no, not that kind of doctor" and "no, I am not seeing anyone."

Happy Kwanhanamas everybody. Safe travels and may your families be supportive and loving.

No comments: