
Just under a year ago when I started the kettlebell class at CrossFit Central Jeremy, who was my coach at the time, tried to convince me to start Zone dieting. No way was I ready to be that serious about things. I was just there to get in better shape for rugby, not to win a triathlon or even lose weight, as I told him vehemently. (I tend to push back when people try to push me into things.) Over the summer I started to consider zoning, even more once rugby season began and I could physically tell my nutrition wasn't up to par with what I was putting my body through.
Still, even that feeling wasn't enough to get me over the hump of actually bothering to measure my food and worry about conforming to the zone-prescribed macro-nutrient proportions. Tonight I'm still not sure about it. Food shouldn't require a calculator. Nor should it take over half an hour to make a salad. But, I decided if I'm going to do this I Am Crossfit thing I'm going to do it right. And, like any lab procedure or fitness movement, though, I assume one gets better with experience.
3 Block Dinner:
- Salad (2.65 oz spinach, 0.5 cucumber, 2 slices ham, 1.5 oz feta cheese, 2 T (1 ounce) avacado)
- 2 Triscuits
- 3 cashews
- 1 cup milk
What I learned:
- It takes a heck of a lot of spinach to get to 5.333 ounces (1.333 cups) worth.
- Food shouldn't require a calculator.
- The right amount of spinach is way more filling than the zone equivalent of Triscuits.
- This is going to take some will-power and time and mindfulness.
- That left over pumpkin bread is looking really tasty, even after a delicious salad.

2 comments:
I am in awe of your willpower. I, being my mother's daughter,have heard of the benefits of this kind of eating and just don't do it. You kick butt! (Actually, I am certain you could in fact kick at least one butt - my floppy lawyer desk-sitting butt!) Even just a month of that much spinach will probably extend your life by like ten years:)
Amy- I am completely impressed with the level you have risen to! (like in our discussion yesterday about your growth from the silver KB to the 16kg bell. Rock on!)
I agree that food should require a calculator/scale, but like how you've found that 1.333 cups of spinach is more than you probably would have eye-balled, Use the calculator/scale for the first couple weeks. Before long you will use it less and less..
Post a Comment