4.04.2006

mediocre is not acceptable

The exam was set to begin at nine this morning. I gave myself plenty of time to deal with any disaster that may have arisen during set up, but everything ran smoothly, including the mock up to allow me to non-mirror my presentation (Thanks, Tim, you rock!). Heading into the exam I was relatively calm. The committee, track chair, and my boss trickled in slowly, even suggesting that I begin despite the fact that the third member had not arrived and was going to have to leave early. So I went through my presentation with them asking questions as I went along. I fielded some well, some not so well. There were a few things I couldn’t for the life of me remember, despite the fact that I knew that I knew them. They weren’t satisfied with my experiments. Hence the rewrite. And I am not satisfied with myself. So I’m sitting here in my apartment alone essentially stewing over the fact that I don’t live up to the expectations I hold for myself. Despite passing I still feel like a failure. Mediocre is not good enough. But I don’t know how to do what I am trying to do any better.

3 comments:

Otis said...

I've yet to meet a masters student who got everything right on the first try. They simply don't want it.

If it was perfect then how would they prove that they're smarter?

Anonymous said...

Amy, you're wrong. With all due respect, mediocre is acceptable. Average is ok when you are in a tough grad program. Great is even better, but to be really great, you have to understand your science even from the point of view of the scientist who isn't where they want to be.

I'm not sure what I'm trying to enunciate, but I feel that the really fantastic law students are missing something, like the law comes so easily to them that they miss something. Maybe that doesn't translate to science, and maybe that's just the evil part of me hoping that's true.

Anyway, you're awesome, and I'm proud of you, mediocre, whatever, yay it's over!

Anonymous said...

i know this is late but i just realized you moved your blog cause i'm lame...

everyone... everyone in my lab that took their part one's had to rewrite. everyone of them.

i'm sure i will have to rewrite and i'm sure that 1/2 of the other kids had to rewrite.

you rock. a whole lot.