4.27.2006

it can't be good for you if you want it that much

Sitting in Halcyon, having just spent my entire day trying to grade one of the two essays on my students' exams. I have come to the conclusions that they do not actually get it. They're just good at pretending. I had three, yes three, perfect scores on that one question out of over eighty exams. Ah well. I can't make them learn it, I can only present the information. It's far later than I had planned on being out, but a "study date" with Jess is not a bad way to spend five hours.

Over the past few days I've been thinking a lot about stress levels and what it's doing to my body. Suffice to say the situation is getting ridiculous. My overactive brain needs rugby. When I play everything else - and I do mean everything: stress, pain, worry - slips away. I have yet to find anything else even remotely healthy that does this for me. So I'm considering practicing next Tuesday. Probably not one of my better ideas, but I need to hit something. I really need to hit something. At least I can be fairly certain that graduate school causes this level of stress in everyone. All the post-docs and older grad students I've talked to about stress had their own chronic symptoms, from migraines to grinding their teeth. Unfortunately no one has a definitive way of dealing, either.

1 comment:

Otis said...

I have a punching bag at my house. You should come over sometime and use it. Very therapeutic.