Yesterday's game was a bit of a rout...for Atlanta. No one I've talked to is entirely sure of the final score, but it was a lot to a single try without a conversion. The score wasn't really indicative of the game, in a lot of ways, though. The Valks played a hard game and never gave up fighting. The scrums and rucks were pretty well matched. Both our forwards and our backs got in some great tackles. Of course, Atlanta did, too. The single try scored by the Valkyries was from a maul that moved across the try line. (In that way the Valks have come a long way from the game against NY at Pumpkinfest back in October.) Seeing our our 15, Heidi, get run down for the first time since she started playing for us was a bit of a shock. We've started expecting that once she makes her break no one can catch her. Well, Atlanta's back line is definitely faster than ours. That and the thousand other little things learned are why we play high level teams. Playing the other Texas teams just cannot prepare the team for high level play, though I appreciate it for the chance to get in some playing time. I may have gotten some yesterday if it wasn't for the shins, but it's also extremely satisfying to not be completely out of my league on the field as well. I plan on being able to hang with the competitive side eventually, but for now I'm learning.It was a great experience and we truly enjoyed hosting the Harlequins. They are a fantastic, fun group of people. The picture above is my impression of rugby in general. The forwards recovering from the breakdown, while the ball gets spun out to the backs (you can see the ball just over #4's shoulder). I'd like to say we made a try on this conversion, but I think this was one of the many display's of Atlanta's excellent defensive abilities.

No comments:
Post a Comment