Dusk is gathering, as are what look like rain clouds. It's humid enough at the moment, but still I'm sitting outside on campus for use of the free internet. Might as well use it while I still can. I'm back on campus for the first time in a week to clean out my desk. It's an odd feeling, but freeing. I never have to walk in that lab with the bad fluorescent lighting and horrible boss ever again. There may be a visit or two over the summer when I know my ex-PI is out of town, but there is nothing requiring me to go back.
I have decided I am reclaiming my life. Doing the things I want to do and really live. Two weekends ago I went camping at Enchanted Rock. Every time I spend time in the great outdoors I'm reminded that living in the city is not for me. Saturday morning I was up early with a couple of other people from the group while most everyone else slept in. We went for a hike around part of loop; the Hill Country almost looks like the Appalachians in the early sunlight with fog in the low areas.
My graduation weekend was technically this past weekend. I didn't walk, it seemed, not pointless, but certainly not appealing. So I hung out with the Huns and the boys from the Mariners RFC, who were on tour from Bermuda. The annual Huns boat party on Lake Travis was much more satisfying than sitting through a commencement ceremony. The pub crawl the night before was something of a psychology experiment, but one I enjoyed immensely. There really is nothing in the world quite like a group of ruggers. Particularly ruggers on tour.
Right now I'm in this spot in my life with all the loose ends tied up and nothing new quite in the works yet. Technically, I am totally free. I could pick up and go anywhere in the world, which may be the most intoxicating thought ever. Leaving Austin, or more specifically my support network here, makes the chances that I'll actually do it without a very good reason rather slim. Between the Gateway crew and my Valkyries Austin has become the best place I have ever lived, but maybe I will run away to that island in the tropics after all. I think I've been land locked for far too long.
21 Days for Good #ohSnapkitchen
11 years ago

1 comment:
Hey, we have islands in Texas. Padre Island, and Mustang island and, well, I mean, we have them. All you have to do is not look at or talk to the swarming undergrads.... Ok, crap, we got nothin. Stupid Bermuda;)
Post a Comment