11.24.2005

maybe i should save my humbugs for december

My first Thanksgiving away from my family. It's an odd thing, and I really wish I could be in Rhode Island with the east coast extension of my mom's family. Spending a holiday I associate with brisk weather and colored leaves in Texas with 75°F weather is just surreal. Parts of the east coast got snow. And I am soooo jealous.

Not that today was a bad day. I enjoyed spending it with Jessica’s family in Fredericksburg, it’s just a major change for me. New people. The food fixed just a little differently than what I’m used to. Warm weather. I suppose it’s another instance in which growing up really sucks and I just need to get over it. At least I know I have somewhere to go and people who are missing me today. Family. There’s the crux of it.

Thanksgiving has been my favorite holiday since at least my freshman year of college. A break from the end of semester spent with people I love. The entire holiday season used to be my favorite time of year. Cold weather, snow (with any luck), family, shopping for my loved ones. Watching the Muppet Christmas Carol movie and sympathizing with Charlie Brown's said little Christmas tree. On Sunday night I saw my first Christmas-time commercial. I freaked out like a cat scared out of a life by a motion-sensor activated talking Christmas tree. Blindsided once again. Not expecting it to come around again so soon. Christmas is more empty now, more something to dread than anticipate. There just isn’t as much spirit in it for me now that I only get a few days even remotely near relatives. Granted, I am emotionally in a better place this year than last. I also have friends outside of school and more to look forward to than being done with finals, but it's still not what I want it to be. Now if you'll excuse me, I have an appointment with dreams of Charlie Brown Christmases and Miracles on 34th Street.

No comments: