2.24.2008

GoBama

This year, in a shocking flurry of political awareness, I am actually paying attention to the primaries. Being aware like I haven't been since Mr. Muldoon was indoctrinating the young and impressionable minds of the fall 1999 "American History: 1950's and Beyond" class at Governor Thomas Johnson High School. A class in which watching Matt Lauer and Katie Couric and discussion of the current political situation, led by a teacherr who worshiped FDR, was a daily ritual. (And my mother wonders why her daughter went to the left side...) Not only have I watched two debates, and wondered why they're still called debates, I have read the websites of the forerunners of both parties and scanned a number of the others'. None of it compares going to the Obama rally at the Capitol on Friday night.

It hit me standing in the crowd waiting for the rally to start that this is history. This primary, this year, these people around me, we are making history. It is entirely possible that the future will look back on these moments the way we as Americans now look back on certain moments of the 20th century. I am wondering if my redneck, staunchly union, strictly Democratic grandfather has burst a vein in his head yet at the thought that his two choices are a woman and a black man. This year's democrat race is completely different from anything that has ever happened before.

At the rally the excitement was tangible. So much optimism, so much hope in the air. Barack Obama is an excellent speaker, articulate and charming. And he offers a change from the status quo. Here is someone who actually has a voice willing to stand up and say "The system is broken. The way we do things now is not effective. But that does not mean a dead end. It can be changed. It must be changed." Hope may not pay the rent, but it does give people incentive to be part of their own solution. ((Stepping off my soapbox))

It was a very cool thing to be a part of. I'm glad I went, along with Kelly (our own precinct captain), Mr. and Mrs. Juicebox, and the handful of others in our group. The crowd was enormous, stretching well beyond the area strictly blocked off for the rally. The line to go through security stretched around the block, though it moved fairly quickly at 6:30ish, when I got through. I was worried about finding my group, but Mrs. Juicebox had made a sign that, while she was asked to put it away by one of the volunteers (apparently no home made signs allowed) made it much easier to find them. I did take my camera and will eventually put up some photos. The huge flood lights behind the press people were directly opposite where we were standing, which made taking pictures kind of difficult, though. All in all it was a great way to spend a Friday night and yet another reason I love living in Austin!

Statesman Article

No comments: